28.9.09

"To make life sweet today, to give contentment to the heart today, to bring salvation today... today is part of eternity"

Probably the most distinct difference between what Mormons believe and the rest of the Christian world believe is the doctrine that God speaks to man today as He did before in the scriptures, face to face, and without confusion or darkness.
With modern prophets we are able to know what the ancient prophets meant in their counsels and revelation. Also, with modern prophets we benefit from knowing the Lord's will for His people in modern times.
The prophets don't just tell us what not to do. Mostly we're taught what to do, such as forgiving and loving others, putting the kingdom of God before all other activities, keeping the sabbath day holy, serving, giving tithes etc.
The question is thus why? Why should we care? What is the result of doing one thing and not another?
David O. McKay (prophet of the church till 1970) said that the church was organized "to make life sweet today, to give contentment to the heart today, to bring salvation today... today is part of eternity."
A prophet is defined by anyone that says "if you do this then this will happen and if you do that then that will happen" and as the scriptures teach "by their fruits ye shall know them" (Matthew 7:20). If you wish to know the truthfulness of a prophet then you can know by the fruits of their doctrine if they are of God or not.
Every time I worry about money I try to give money to someone else or I make sure to pay my tithing (10% of income) and then before I know it I have plenty of money to go around. I would advise against thinking tithing is a get rich quick scheme. But, keep in mind the Lord did reveal to Malachi- "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it" (Malachi 3:10). The lesson is that money doesn't matter as much as faith. Of course if you are consumed with money then it will destroy you. But, if you are consumed in God then you cannot be destroyed. So by keeping the commandments I find that my soul is stronger, my heart purer, and my luck increases. I would invite you to taste the fruits of the counsels of the prophets as well.