20.10.09

that they may be humble

Some people might argue that some commandments are harder than others. But its just depends on who you ask.
When I was a preaching the gospel as a missionary in San Diego, I quickly realized that every person is capable of having doubts in any area. Whether it would be just not seeing a need for the Book of Mormon or just not liking some of the other members. We all have a weaknesses.
One of my favorite scriptures-

Ether 12:27
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

I know that if we turn our lives over to God, He will manifest Himself to us. The hard part though is that we will often see the folly of our ways. Does He show us our weaknesses to make us feel condemned or chastised? Is God just a big bully thats constantly throwing metaphorical pebbles down on us from His cloud? No. He isn't a bully. He is a loving, caring, perfect person.
Then why show us our weaknesses? I hope you were paying attention to that scripture. "That they may be humble" He says.

Humility is essential to living like God. If we are not humble then we cannot receive the word of God for we will be offended by it and by God. We will cover our weaknesses in a cloak of our pride in an effort to excuse ourselves from having to change them.

So again which is the hardest commandment of all? The one you're not following. You can avoid every harmful thing but if you don't remember to be humble then thats your weakness.