12.1.10

Do What You Want

Sometimes, I find myself confused over the things I want to do and the things I should do. This might be startling but I honestly believe its better to do the thing you want more than the thing you think you should. Because, you can't do a good thing and have it count with God unless you have real intent. Otherwise its not an accepted offering. Moroni says "except he shall do it with real intent it profiteth him nothing" -7:6 and this popular scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 58:26-29 says-

For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.
But he that doeth not anything until he is commanded, and receiveth a commandment with doubtful heart, and keepeth it with slothfulness, the same is damned.


Often I think I should do this or do that and will look for clues but I find that sometimes its just because I'm lazy and don't really care either way but still want to do the right thing. Bu,t "For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward."

I knew a lot of missionaries in my mission who didn't want to be there. They didn't believe and were only there to appease either their parents or to just have that self righteous title of being a "Returned Missionary" and I wish we could have returned them. I appreciated that they did something they thought they should but what does it profit anyone to do something without real intent or with secret intents? Its mockery.

Do what you want. Do it with real intent. Don't take the sacrament unless you do it with the proper preparation and mentality for it to actually profit you. Remember it is not by works you are saved but by faith. You could be a great person but if you don't have faith then no amount of good choices will save you or give you God's approval.

Doctrine and Covenants 8: 10- "Without faith you can do nothing."