29.4.10

The Enemy is Not the Enemy

Often times we fall victim to the syndrome I call Don Quixote syndrome where we utilize our energies and imaginations to the fighting of a villain thats not there.
We come up with an amazing case against someone, accusing them of this and that. What happens is we don't have the whole story and but then fill in the rest with our fears and prejudice. Sort of like online dating, but the opposite, when we just see the good things and assume the rest about that person would also be amazing and build up this fantasy.

The truth is our brains need closure, we need labels, we hate when things are up in the air. We need to put things in a category for our minds to know how to deal with it. Thats why politics are often such a shaky ground. We get a narration from one side and then another and then there are still gaps and theories and we just don't know what is right.

Luckily, theres a cure for this.

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Matthew 7:7

"And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive."
-Matthew 21:22

First we must seek knowledge. We must ask about the situation. We must knock on the door by our active desire to figure it out. Then, we must have an open heart and mind and then we shall receive and know. So how does this relate to dealing with people? The same as it does with getting knowledge from God. We must find common ground, hope for the best, build from there, and try to reconcile the differences with forgiveness and humility. Charity never faileth. If we love God and our brethren with all our heart, might, mind and strength then we cannot fail.

Back to fighting the imaginary villain, I think Satan is behind this. My friend had a great way of looking at it. He said Satan is more like the Don King of our fight, than the opponent. Our enemy isn't our enemy, those things that make us think someone or something is our enemy is our enemy. We are all family. We must seek charity and fight our instincts to hate or despise others. Don't fight people, fight fighting. I'm not saying we shouldn't stand up for whats right but we should stand by principles more than people. People are weak and imperfect but the principles are eternal and the way to godhood.

I LOVE this scripture passage:

And it came to pass that the God of heaven looked upon the residue of the people, and he wept; and Enoch bore record of it, saying: How is it that the heavens weep, and shed forth their tears as the rain upon the mountains?
And Enoch said unto the Lord: How is it that thou canst weep, seeing thou art holy, and from all eternity to all eternity?
And were it possible that man could number the particles of the earth, yea, millions of earths like this, it would not be a beginning to the number of thy creations; and thy curtains are stretched out still; and yet thou art there, and thy bosom is there; and also thou art just; thou art merciful and kind forever;
And thou hast taken Zion to thine own bosom, from all thy creations, from all eternity to all eternity; and naught but peace, justice, and truth is the habitation of thy throne; and mercy shall go before thy face and have no end; how is it thou canst weep?
The Lord said unto Enoch: Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day I created them; and in the Garden of Eden, gave I unto man his agency;
And unto thy brethren have I said, and also given commandment, that they should love one another, and that they should choose me, their Father; but behold, they are without affection, and they hate their own blood;
And the afire of mine indignation is kindled against them; and in my hot displeasure will I send in the floods upon them, for my fierce anger is kindled against them.
Behold, I am God; Man of Holiness is my name; Man of Counsel is my name; and Endless and Eternal is my name, also.
Wherefore, I can stretch forth mine hands and hold all the creations which I have made; and mine eye can pierce them also, and among all the workmanship of mine hands there has not been so great wickedness as among thy brethren.
But behold, their sins shall be upon the heads of their fathers; Satan shall be their father, and misery shall be their doom; and the whole heavens shall weep over them, even all the workmanship of mine hands; wherefore should not the heavens weep, seeing these shall suffer?
But behold, these which thine eyes are upon shall perish in the floods; and behold, I will shut them up; a prison have I prepared for them.
And That which I have chosen hath led before my face. Wherefore, he suffereth for their sins; inasmuch as they will repent in the day that my Chosen shall return unto me, and until that day they shall be in torment;
Wherefore, for this shall the heavens weep, yea, and all the workmanship of mine hands.