27.11.10

For What Sakes?

You know I find myself being distracted a lot. Every article on the current state of the average human experience always mentions how many distractions we have. News, texts, calls, TV, music, Twitter, Facebook, sports, etc. Yep, this is definitely a time with more voices and things to think about than any other time.

Satan is called "The Destroyer" but also I think he is "The Distractor" who uses things to busy us with trivial matters so as to ignore the pivotal. In fact, thats a great definition of sin- making the pivotal trivial and the trivial pivotal. When the vain becomes the highest priority we are in deed in the grasp of Satan.

Its always interesting to see how the double edged sword that is the word of God divides the truth from error. There are significant distinctions that require spiritual pondering and spiritual promptings to understand. I think as we strive to study and learn the Lord makes things known to us where we are off balance and need more prioritizing to His will.

Nowadays I am convinced of the necessity to do a job right, as the old saying says, for sake of doing it at all. I know its easy to write off somethings because it seems pointless or stupid but I know the Lord delights in our best efforts, even if the task at hand holds no impact on the world at large. I'm reminded of those that built the Salt Lake Temple with great detail that might have seemed mundane at the time but held tremendous importance in glorifying the Lord.
I think of the stupid jobs I had that really weren't fabulous or glorious and the shoddy work I did. I know now that they were dumb but what was important was that the Lord expected me to honestly and diligently work hard. By small and simple things does the Lord bring to pass great things and if we are able and skilled then He can better use as as instruments for His will.

Not all work is worth it, but I do think the Lord expects us to not shirk responsibility or to shrug sweating in the brow and we have a great opportunity to work each day for the Lord's sake.