29.8.10

Procedures and Growth

As a Mormon, I go through a lot; ordinances, temptations, meetings, anti-Mormon teachings, etc. Lately, it seems that the most growth doesn't come from going through anything but growing through (excuse the pun) anything.

I was sealed to my wife almost two years ago at the Salt Lake City Temple. At the time I knew I loved her but I find that I love her more all the time and especially when I stop to think about her. I went through the procedure of getting married but the growth of the marriage keeps going.

There are countless things we could all "grow through" (joining the Marines, taking courses in college, raising children, or learning another language). I'm reminded of Nephi who was not sure what all the things meant that the Spirit was teaching, but relied on his knowledge that "God loveth his children". I also think of all the writers in the Book of Mormon who said that things were written for a "wise purpose" in God. We don't always know the outcome or reason for all the things we go through in procedures, but afterward we may look back and see the great things the Lord has done because of our faith and willingness to go forward on the path. By small and simple things does the Lord bring to pass great things.

My wife and I have recently been playing a lot of Skip-Bo after getting schooled by my Grandma. In the game there is a lot of side activity meaning it doesn't get you any closer to winning, but is sort of fun in and of itself. In fact, you might be able to go the whole game and participate every time its your turn, but still not get any closer to winning. The reason I bring this up isn't to discuss the pitfalls of pride in competition but that in life there are tons of things we can do as "side activity" which makes us feel like we're really playing the game but in fact we're not getting anywhere. As we go through the procedures, its important to seek out why the Lord has given us what He has and to utilize our time in striving to grow to match the expectations of the Lord.

I was called to serve a mission of preaching and baptizing in the San Diego, California mission. This was a great work that required me to grow after going through the procedures of being called, set apart and having a black badge with my name on it. While I looked the part and was even commissioned by the church, I still hadn't lived up to the calling. I knew it was the right thing to go through but I still had to grow in order for it to not just be "side activity" and a waste of time. While serving there were lots of chances to grow but just as many chances to waste time.

All the procedures (callings, temptations, ordinances, experiences) in the church are designed to help us develop ourselves in the gospel of Jesus Christ, a means for us to utilize in our goal of growing to be like and get closer to Jesus Christ. There are tons of things we can do to make us feel like we're getting accomplishing something, but looking back we should see what was vanity and what wasn't.

Granted not everything we do has to be of deep import or a growing experience but we should make sure that the trivial things are not over crowding the pivotal things. Watching an inappropriate movie, worrying about fashion or spending tons of money on eating out- are examples of things that could take away from the greater purpose of our lives.

The Lord gives a great parable of stewards who were given talents to make use of and then their Lord would return an ask them to give an account for their use of talents. The ones who were found favor in the Lord were the ones that utilized their time wisely by making use of their gifts to the point of doubling what they had been given. The steward that did not find favor did not utilize his gift and was met with sore reproach from the Lord, who told him that he should have been more faithful. The procedure was the giving of the talents and the growth was using them.

I know the Lord doesn't give us procedures save for the chance to grow and make the most of it. The priesthood holder must be kept worthy to use such a power, the mother must be worthy of taking care of God's children, the steward must make good use of the gift or these things will be a waste and be good for nothing except "to be burned", as scripture tells us.